Engineers and construction workers of the future can meet potential employers at a regional degree apprenticeship networking event hosted by the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan).
The SPARK event on 30 May is a matchmaking day for apprentices to meet a range of employers looking to offer a degree apprenticeship. This first session will focus on engineering and construction with more than 20 companies, including Align Property Partners and Conlon Construction, attending.
It means that talented young people from schools and colleges from across the North West will have access to top employers from across the region, who in turn benefit from meeting up to 100 motivated individuals who are keen to progress.
A degree apprenticeship is a paid job, an integrated apprenticeship and degree programme with professional qualifications. The course fees are paid by the employer, which are mainly covered by the existing levy introduced by the government in 2016. Additionally, there is also an £1,000 incentive payment if the apprentice is under 19-years-old at the start of the programmes or has an Educational Healthcare Plan. UCLan will also support the administration of the apprenticeship.
The event will include talks from industry guests and a speed networking interview session, as well as information on UCLan’s degree apprenticeships from Head of Degree Apprenticeship Development Antony Baron.
He said: “We’re looking forward to helping some of the region’s employers recruit enthusiastic individuals who want to train as they earn and can plug the skills gap.
“The University currently offers 20 degree apprenticeship programmes with more than 600 students enrolled and we’re planning 26 additional programmes for 2020, so it’s certainly a growing market.”
There is still time for interested employers and apprentices to register to attend the event, which will take place on Thursday 30 May 9.30am – 3.00pm in The Media Factory on UCLan’s Preston Campus.
Apprenticeship opportunities are available for:
- Aerospace Software Engineer, Level 6, BEng (Hons) Software Engineering
- Building Services Design Engineer, Level 6, BEng (Hons) Building Services and Sustainable Engineering
- Chartered Surveyor, Level 6 (BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying or BSc (Hons) Building Surveying
- Civil Engineer, Level 6, BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- Embedded Electronic Systems Design & Development Engineer, Level 6, BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineer, Level 6, BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- Postgraduate Engineer, Level 7, PG Diploma in Engineering Competence
- Product Design and Development Engineer, Level 6 (BEng (Hons) Motorsports Engineering; Computer Aided Engineering; Mechatronic and Intelligent Machines