- Introduce a one-off Windfall Tax on key sectors to raise money for combined authorities and infrastructure.
- Reform the Treasury Green Book rules which currently favour the South East.
- Create a UK Infrastructure Investment Bank to replace the European Investment Bank’s role.
- Dramatically increase the number of combined authorities and create unitary authorities.
- Give more power and responsibility to metro mayors and combined authorities, including for skills, training, decarbonization and infrastructure.
- Bring forward all aspects of HS2, as opposed to delaying legs.
- Fully commit to Northern Powerhouse Rail.
- Build the third runway at Heathrow and support regional international airports and ports.
Downtown’s White Paper
This White Paper was published to help inform the Chancellor’s November Spending Review.
It sees us call for the Government to set out spending which leads to more devolution and investment in infrastructure.
Titled, ‘Fund, Devolve, Build’, it sets out a series of policy initiatives, such as:
The White Paper remains relevant after the Spending Review and there is an opportunity for you to share your views about what policy initiatives you think are important.